Monday, January 27, 2014

Well, I survived one more week...

So this week just flew by, so not much to tell, but I will give you the few highlights from the week. 

1. Well I know many are wondering about our investigator Êmily. Well I wish I had something to tell there, by the appointment we set with her fell through, and she didn't make it. My companion and I are going to go to her house this week and talk with her and her family. We are a little nervous to do this, because when she told us about her family she told us they are not the biggest fans. But I have faith that God will bless us in trying to help this family. So just hold out a week and hopefully I will have a good story to tell. 

2. Many people have been asking about the two mothers Diane and Lidiane. The investigators that had everything set up and ready I think our first week here in São Borja. Well finally we've made some progress. So they both want to be baptized but both need to get married to their husbands and one needs to stop smoking first. But this week both are going to the place to get the marriage papers signed (sorry I know the word in Portuguese but can't think of it in English, do we have a word in English?) And also this week we taught a lesson to Lidiane who is quitting smoking and it was so spiritual. I gave her a CTR ring and told her that this would help her remember. Also I promised that I too would quit a bad habit of mine (I chose drinking soda) and so now Guarana já era. So we stopped by yesterday and she has only smoked one cigarro since Friday. That is so great seeing as how she used to smoke 3 boxes a day. Ah I am so excited for them. Wedding papers here take quite a bit of time, so I am just hoping I can be here for their baptisms. 

3. The weather this week has been absolutely insane. So Wednesday was scorching hot, like I have a pretty good sunburn to prove it-- yes Kim I was wearing lots and lots of sunscreen and still burnt. It was 48 degrees. Then on Sunday I was really cold. It dropped to 21 degrees and I was actually wearing a cardigan and still cold. BAH! It’s like Utah all over again. 

4. Also so my district leader went to Santa Maria and got to get all the mail that people had sent. So he was passing out mail and I had 12 letters, so just wanted to thank all the amazing people that have been writing me, it truly has made my week!! Everyone there was so jealous, which honestly I can see I kind of have the best family anyone could ask for. Thanks Holly and family, Mom, Dad, Logan, Skylar, Papa, Grandma, Oma, Kimmy, and finally received a letter from a Sister M. Seal. Good timing, too, I almost forgot I had a sister it’s been so long. JK Sister Seal. 


Thanks for all the love and support. It makes being a missionary so much easier. I think going into this experience I didn't understand what being a missionary means. So for those of you who are contemplating a mission let me give you the advice that I wish I had had, or maybe I had but didn't listen to:
1. A mission is hard. I thought because I was serving God it would be easy, but let me tell you something, Satan knows you're serving God too, and so he is trying to derail you. He knows you have the chance to do something great, to change someone's life forever, and that scares him. 
2. A mission isn't about you. I came into the mission selfishly. And honestly still believe in many aspects that I am selfish, but I am trying to work on this. A mission is an act of service; it’s not something that people chose to do to take a 1 and a half year vacation from the world. You are giving up everything that feels normal. You leave the people you love, you leave the comforts of home, and you do this in service. Once you start learning this lesson you'll start enjoying your mission more. Well at least I know that is the case for me. But like I said I am still working of the selfish thing. 
3. Obedience is essential. One lesson that I have learned that really has been on my mind this week is how important obedience is. I've never liked to be 100% obedient, maybe that comes from growing up in a big family and wanting to find my own unique edge. But on a mission I can't afford to do this. Obedience brings miracles, and I can't afford to lose the miracles. I need the miracles for me, for learning the language, for strength, but more importantly I need the miracles for my investigators. I can't afford to be selfish and lose the miracles they need for their conversion. 

Well those are some of the things that I wish I had known. I am only 3 months in, and still trying to learn more. I know that this church is true with all my heart. Every day as I study the scriptures I know that I am reading revelation given to us. I know that this church brings true happiness through the Plan of Salvation our Father in Heaven created for us. I love you all so much! 

Have an awesome week. 

Sister K. Seal



Well we actually had a day where it was okay to look somewhat normal, so I thought I would take a picture. We don't get these too often. 


This is what I sent McKenna in the mail. We have many dried up frogs here, and I was having a long day, so I decided to do something crazy. Yup I sent her a dried up frog. 
  


Me and my companion enjoying the nice weather. 


No comments:

Post a Comment