Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy 2014

Happy 2014!! I'll admit it was so different being in bed asleep at 10:30 on New Years Eve. I figure though that as a missionary I am going to need all the blessings I can get, so that means 100% obedience.

So São Borja- well its still stinking hot, but I think I am starting to get used to sweating all the time. LOL And well our Mission President says, its a perfect excuse to share our message. Knock on the door (which in Brazil means clap outfront of the house) and ask for a glass of water. Usually people feel bad for the 2 crazies that are walking around in 118 degree weather and invite us in to give us a cup of water. Then we start talking with them and gradually bring the conversation to religion. We ask to sing a hymn for them and say a prayer, and because everyone here is very religious for the most part they also agree to this. So we sing, pray and then ask to share a quick message. There you have it;) São Borja missionary work recipe. 

So I have kind of been a slacker missionary in these emails and haven't written any investigator stories, but it was because I didn't have any amazing stories to share- I kind of realized how hard missionary work actually is here in the south of Brazil. Its definitely different than João Pessoa. But don't take that as me complaining or not being grateful for the opportunity I have to serve here. I am really grateful for my mission. I just realized the work that I will be doing is going to be a lot different than that of Sister M. Seal. 

Então I have a story. I did my first street contact on the first day of the New Year- January 1, 2014.
I asked my companion how to do a street contact and told her I wanted to do a contact within the next couple of days. She told me how to say the phrases in Portuguese and I started memorizing. Then we say a young man ahead in the street. She asked me if I wanted to do it. I said I wasnt ready but I wanted to watch her do it. So we go and she looks and me and says to the young man Oí tudo bem? Then she turns to me and just starts staring. It took me a while to realize she expected me to do this contact. Bah! It was so crazy scary. But I did it and I got the addresses of 2 young men. Although I doubt they understood a word I said. 

So we've been working with a couple of sisters (I am going to use their initials E. and M.) We found these sisters in our first week here. It was on a day that was hot! We were walking and searching for the house of a less active memeber, but we were lost, tired, and things were just not going our way. When all of the sudden a girl called out to us"Hi Sisters". So we stopped and asked her how she knew the missionaries. She explained that awhile ago, when there used to be missionaries in this area, that she had heard a couple disussions. She invited us in and we sat down, drank some water and taught a simple lesson. We gave her a pamphlet on the restoration and invited her to pray about these things. She explained to us that she was going to leave town for Christmas, but that we could come back after she returned. So we went back last week, and she was so receptive when we shared another message with her. We re-invited her to pray about the things. Leaving that lesson Sister Claret and I felt to happy and excited. Then Saturday we retured to see how her prayer was. When we got there her mom was sitting out front, and we asked if we could speak with E. and she said that she didn't want to speak with us anymore. BAH! I was so shocked and confused. So Sister Claret asked if we could share a message with the mom of E. As we shared the message every 5 seconds she would say something about her church, and testify to us that her church was the true church and that we would be so welcomed if we ever went. Anyways long story short she invited us to attend her church tomorrow at 8:00pm. She said that if we went to her church she would come with her daughters to our church on Sunday. Elder Holland said in a talk given to missionaries, "You have to go where your investigator is to bring them unto Christ." Well I guess tomorrow come 8PM thats exactly what we will be doing. I had never interpreted that literally, but I guess whatever it takes to share the gospel. -- Don't worry we approved this from our District Leader. 

Anyways I am so grateful for my friends, my family, and the opportunity I have to serve the God I love. I wish you all an amazing 2014! I love you all so much! Really, I mean that everytime I write that in these weekly letters. I have the best friends and family in the entire world. Also got my first letter this week. Thanks Papa. 

Much love
Sister K. Seal

No comments:

Post a Comment