Monday, February 10, 2014

Today marks 2 months that I've been in Brazil.

This week has been pretty slow unfortunately. We're still trying to help with the marriage process of our two sister investigators. Yesterday we taught the "husband" of Diane and he told us he is afraid to get married. He says it’s too soon- they've been together 3 years, are raising 2 kids, and he wants to have another kid. Well, that just means we have some work to do. Also Lidiane hit a road block this week.  Her boss is constantly smoking, and she has used this as an excuse for her relapse. SAD!  But it’s okay.  We will continue to help them out. Emily is still really hesitant.  Also, she wants to learn more before she is baptized, so much work to be done here is São Borja.

Well, I came into the mission thinking I would leave speaking 3 languages. Well, right now I count myself lucky if I can manage to form a sentence in one language. So we were doing contact in the center of the city last week when we ran into a guy that is from Argentina. That means he only speaks Spanish. I was excited to use my Spanish, except guess what?  I have already forgotten most of my Spanish. I understood what he was saying, but when it was my turn to speak, it was a pretty good mix of Spanish and Portuguese. Also this week I was training my companion how to pray in English. My head hurt just thinking of the words to use in an English payer. It’s a good thing that I write in my journal daily in English or these weekly emails would no longer make sense. I guess that is kind of a good sign.

So kind of cool story about today- I usually don't prepare a spiritual thought for my blog entries, but today, I don't know why, but I was thinking about what I would write here today and this thought came to mind- after a couple hours into today I've already realized that the thought I received was for me. So I just thought I'd share it anyways with all of you. Maybe someone reading this needs the same thought:

I was reading in D&C 90 and found vs. 24. It reads, "search diligently, pray always, and be believing and all things shall work together for your good..." Then I read a quote from one of my heroes, Elder Holland which reads, "Because Christ's eyes were unfailingly fixed on the future, He could endure all that was required of Him. He knows that for the faithful things will be made right soon enough." In the world we live in today, it is not easy to have this mentality that all will eventually be made right. Bad things happen to good people and we begin to wonder how a loving and just God could allow all this to happen. Its then we need to remember the saints persecution in Missouri and the revelation they received in the 101st section in the doctrine and covenants. God easily could have taken away their problems completely but why didn't he?  In D&C 101:16 it says, "Therefore let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands be still and know that I am God."

To conclude I would like to finish with a small quote from Elder Holland, "Even in the darkest hours at Gethsemane and Calvary, He pressed on continuing to trust in the very God who He momentarily feared had forsaken Him." 

Like I said if for no one else, this thought already found its intended recipient.
I wish you all the best of weeks. I love you all.


Sister K. Seal

No comments:

Post a Comment