Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Week 1

Wow. I think that is just about the only way to sum up the time that I have been at the MTC so far. Going into a mission you don't really know what to expect, but somehow you still have expectations of what you think it is going to be like. Our district presidency said it best when they said: "Its like going into junior high for the first time: You are nervous, excited, and really just are overwhelmed." That is how I feel. But I know that as hard as it is missing my best friends, my family, and Costco pumkin pie:) I know that this is where I am supposed to be and I know that this is what God wants for this chapter in my life. I am so excited to teach the people of Brazil of Jesus Christ's love for each of them. Eu sei que Jesus Cristo nos amo muito. Eu sei que Ele morre por nossos pecados para que podemos repenter e viver outro vez com nosso pai celestial.
Yes that is the other thing that I learned this week. I remember when people would ask me what I am most nervous for my popular response would be: The Language. Which to this point I will admit that it is still a concern, but I didn't realize how much the Lord blesses his missionaries. I would like to make the claim that the Lord doesn't actually care about me learning Portuguese. The reason that he is blessing those in the MTC with the gift of tongues has nothing to do with them individually. The reason he cares so much to bless so many missionaries with the gift of language is that he cares for those people we are going to teach:)
So as soon as we got to the MTC it was a crazy rush of emotion. I was nervous, but really excited. I met my companion. Her name is Sister Arthur: she is from Massa-Hampshire. She made up that term to describe that she lives between Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Ela e otimo! I am so excited about such an amazing companion. We get along really well. My only concern that I still have is that I have to go EVERYWHERE with a companion. That is definitely going to take some getting used to. I am a very independent person as my family will attest to- but I am going to try my best:)
Craziest part of the mission so far would be this: So on your first day at the MTC you go through a lot of orientation stuff, unpacking you bags, meeting your district. Then so when we went to our language class on Thursday our teacher told us that we would be teaching a lesson. That is fine and everything I know what I believe and am pretty familiar with the preach my gospel material. But are you ready for the kicker: Umm ya she told us we would be teaching the lesson in Portuguese. WHAT? I had less than 24 hours of experience with the language and I was going to teach people about Jesus Christ in Portuguese? Ya well it happened. Our investigator (he is not really investigating the church they have a member come teach us and pretend to be an investigator) is amazing. He is very nice about not making fun of our Portuguese, and with where our Portuguese is at thats a lot to ask:) JK that is amazing to me how much Portuguese I already know- By the way for any of your Portuguese speakers reading this please don't judge my language skills yet, I have not yet learned how to do all the accents and well I have had less than a week of Portuguese. So please just bear with me.
Well I really am so excited to be here and to be learning so much:) This week we watched the talk entitled The Character of Christ from David A. Bednar: what an amazing example Jesus Christ was for each one of us and I hope that I can some day be able to not only wear his name upon me as a missionary of His church, but hopefuly be able to engrave upon myself his name through becoming like him. Eu sei que Jesus Cristo Espiou por nossos pecados e por Ele podemos ser limpos de os pecados. Eu sei que Deus nos ama muito. Ele quer nos usamos o Expiaco para que podemos viver com Ele outro vez. Eu sou muito grata por todos meus amigos e por a ajuda que voces sao. Eu sou muito grata por minha familia. Em nome de Jesus Cristo Amen.  (I know that Jesus Christ atoned for our sins and that through him we can be clean of our sins. I know that God loves us very much. He wants us to use the atonement so that we can live with him again. I am grateful for my friends and for the help they are. I am very grateful for my family. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.)
I love you all:) Shout out to my amazing Friends & family: Kaitlyn, Kim, Dad, Mom, Grandma and Grandpa for the letters:) I love getting all your letters and hear how you are all doing!

Love,
Sister K. Seal
P.S. : So I am the only one from my whole district going to Santa Maria. Everyone else is going to Brazil but pretty much all over from Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment